New to Medicare?
We're here to help you understand what your options are for coverage.
Enrollment: Wellness Resources
When to enroll in Medicare or make changes to you coverage
If you’re turning 65 soon or just need a refresher, below are details to help you navigate Medicare enrollment.
Initial Enrollment Period
4 Months Prior to Your 65th Birthday – 3 Months after Your 65th Birthday
If you are new to Medicare that means that you have or will soon turn 65. You will have a period to enroll in Medicare for the first time; this is called your Initial Enrollment Period. This period starts four months prior to your 65th birthday and ends three months after your 65th birthday. During this time you can sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan and/or a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
Open Enrollment Period
October 15 through December 7 each year
Each year during this period you may choose to change your coverage for the following calendar year. During this time you may:
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan
- Change from a Medicare Advantage Plan back to Original Medicare
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another Medicare Advantage Plan
- Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan
- Switch from one Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another Medicare Prescription Drug Plan
- Drop your Medicare prescription drug coverage completely
Additional Enrollment Options
January 1 through February 14
During this period you may:
- Leave your Medicare Advantage Plan to return to original Medicare, and
- Join a Medicare Prescription Drug plan if you do return to original Medicare during this period