Savor the Tiniest Moments
We provide a supportive environment for moms-to-be, so you can focus on having a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
If your newborn has complications at birth, it can be an overwhelming experience. You and your family can rest reassured, knowing that there is high-quality, specialized care nearby at our Level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) in Tacoma.
Advanced care for premature and critically ill newborns
At CHI Franciscan Health, we’re dedicated to providing the best possible start for your new baby. At St. Joseph Medical Center, neonatologists and other specially trained clinicians in our Level III NICU are ready to provide care at a moment’s notice, 24 hours a day. View our NICU video to see our facilities and hear from our staff.
Through our partnership with Seattle Children’s Hospital, we extend world-class neonatal care throughout the Puget Sound. Learn more about our partnership with Seattle Children’s Neonatology.
Level III NICU: Priority care for critical infants
Neonatal specialists in our Level III NICU care exclusively for critically ill newborns, preemies and fragile infants with special medical needs. In our Level III NICU, we provide:
- 24-hour critical newborn care: Seattle Children’s neonatologists and neonatal nurse practitioners provide round-the-clock care for premature and critically ill newborns at St. Joseph.
- Specialized care for the most critically ill infants: We care for premature babies who are born as early as 27 week's gestation and/or who weigh as little as one kilogram (just over two pounds).
- Team of neonatal specialists: Our highly skilled team includes consulting specialists, specially trained registered nurses, dietitians, pharmacists and therapists specializing in newborns.
- Family-centered care: We work to provide frequent updates on your baby’s progress and help you spend as much time as possible with your baby until he or she is ready to go home.
- Breastfeeding support with our certified lactation consultants, including inpatient NICU visits and outpatient follow-up (by appointment only).
Download our free guide
Preparing for childbirth can be overwhelming. To help you get started, we’ve created a free downloadable guide that provides everything you need to know as you take your first steps toward motherhood with CHI Franciscan.
> Level III (NICU)
Partnership with Seattle Children’s Hospital
Choosing a Provider
High-Risk Pregnancy Care
Delivering Your Baby
Classes and Resources
Accepted Insurance Plans
CHI Franciscan Health Designated Blue Distinction® Center for Maternity Care
Learn More About Pregnancy and Childbirth
Family Birth Center Tours
Weekly Text Message Signup
Childbirth and Parenting Classes
Breastfeeding Support Services
Newborn Tests and Care
Does Your Insurance Cover Breast Pumps?
Watch Our Videos