Savor the Tiniest Moments
We provide a supportive environment for moms-to-be, so you can focus on having a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
Pregnancy and Childbirth
Community Support Services
As part of our mission to create healthier communities, Virginia Mason Franciscan Health offers support services to underserved or uninsured women and children throughout the Puget Sound area.
Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program
Our WIC Program is designed to provide supplemental nutritional support for low-income pregnant women and families. At our clinics, we provide:
- Health and nutrition education
- Prenatal and breastfeeding support
- Breastfeeding peer counselor support
- Preventive health care and referrals
- Referrals for community resources for health and nutrition
- $40 – $50 worth of nutritious food each month, including milk, eggs, cheese, cereals, juice, peanut butter and infant formula
- Checks for fruit and vegetables at summertime Farmers Markets in the area
- Growth monitoring and measurements
Our WIC Program also offers a special Balance After Birth support group for women who may be struggling with postpartum depression. This class is currently only offered at our Lakewood office.
Virginia Mason Franciscan Health provides these services at no cost for:
- Low-income pregnant or postpartum (after birth) women (regardless of feeding preference)
- Infants and children up to age five who are at nutritional risk
Find community health support and services
If you’re pregnant or have a child under age five, you may be eligible, as income guidelines are very generous and include working families on a tight budget, unemployed families and families on public assistance or medical coupons.
For more information about our programs and eligibility, call or visit one of our clinics or review the eligibility requirements online:
Maternity Support Services (MSS)
In collaboration with Step by Step, a local community agency, Virginia Mason Franciscan Health helps women in need, during pregnancy and the weeks following childbirth. Step by Step services include:
- Education on family planning, nutrition and more
- Financial assistance
- Referrals for health care and community resources
- Fun community events for you and your family
Download our free guide
Preparing for childbirth can be overwhelming. To help you get started, we’ve created a free downloadable guide that provides everything you need to know as you take your first steps toward motherhood with Virginia Mason Franciscan Health.
Level III NICU
Choosing a Provider
High-risk Pregnancy Care
Delivering Your Baby
Classes and Resources
> Community Support Services
Pregnancy and Parenting eNewsletter
Accepted Insurance Plans
Women's Resource Center