Savor the Tiniest Moments
We provide a supportive environment for moms-to-be, so you can focus on having a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
Midwifery Birth Center at St. Joseph
Our new midwifery birth center is unique as it is the only outpatient birth center on a hospital campus in Washington State.
You’ll have a natural birth experience in a calm, luxurious setting with the peace of mind in knowing that, should complications arise, an expert team of specialists is nearby. Certified nurse midwives (CNMs) provide the compassionate support and expertise you need to create your best birth experience. We’ll be with you every step along the way to welcoming your family’s new addition.
Located at 1708 South Yakima Avenue on the St. Joseph Medical Center campus in Tacoma, the center provides a supportive, home-like environment for expectant mothers. With doulas, CNMs and labor and delivery nurses trained in holistic approaches, our team will support your wish for an unmedicated and natural childbirth experience.
Learn more about our Midwifery Birth Center Tour.
What will I find at the Midwifery Birth Center?
The new Midwifery Birth Center at St. Joseph is designed for women who have a strong desire for an unmedicated, natural childbirth experience. Upon arrival to the center in active labor, you will have access to your own birth suite, with hydrotherapy birth/laboring tub, a comfortable queen-sized bed, and many of the comforts of home. You and your family will stay in the suite for your immediate post-delivery care until discharge.
Take a video tour
- Support: Highly skilled, Certified Nurse Midwives stay with you throughout your delivery to offer coaching and support, along with an expert care team including doulas and nurses who specialize in labor and delivery.
- Comfort: Spacious, luxurious birthing suites create a spa-like setting with deluxe queen size sleigh beds, rocking chairs, deep soaking tubs, hammocks, birthing balls and beautiful art work—all in a home-like environment.
- Choice: Water birth, nitrous oxide, hammocks, birthing balls and other comfort measures are available for you to manage your labor the way you desire. You can move around as you like and decide who and how many loved ones will be present in the room with you.
- Safety: We offer a comfortable place for childbirth. When a higher level of care is needed, our midwives work closely with obstetricians and maternal-fetal medicine specialists. In addition, a Level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) is located just a sky bridge away, along with a team of highly skilled neonatologists.
- Security: In our controlled access facility, labor and delivery take place in the same suite so your baby never leaves your care (unless complications arise).
- Early discharge: You will typically be discharged 6 – 8 hours after delivery as long as you and your baby are both doing well.
Is the Midwifery Birth Center at St. Joseph a good choice for me?
The Midwifery Birth Center is the perfect choice if:
- You are experiencing a normal, low-risk pregnancy
- You have a strong desire to have an unmedicated, natural childbirth experience
- You have chosen a certified nurse midwife who is affiliated with St. Joseph Medical Center to provide your care
Regardless of where you choose to deliver, the staff at CHI Franciscan Health will support your desire to have the most natural childbirth possible.
During my pregnancy, what if my health or that of my baby’s changes?
Our midwives continually work in a collaborative environment with CHI Franciscan OB-GYNs and maternal fetal medicine specialists to provide a full continuum of care for expectant mothers. Should either your health or your baby’s condition change, you will be assessed and receive the appropriate level of care to best meet your needs. We will partner with you throughout this process.
During labor what if I need to transfer to the hospital?
Most babies join the world without complication. Our top priority is to provide place where you feel safe and comfortable.
- Should any concerns or emergencies arise we have quick, easy access to our Family Birth Center as well as St. Joseph’s Level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)
- Our teams include certified nurse midwives, obstetricians, maternal fetal medicine specialists and neonatologists from Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Your certified nurse midwife will remain with you through the birth of your baby
- We’ll take care of the details, allowing you to focus on your labor and your baby
Have your baby at the Midwifery Birth Center at St. Joseph. To find a CHI Franciscan certified nurse midwife, visit our page on midwifery services or call Franciscan Women’s Health Associates at 253-274-7501. For questions or more information about the Midwifery Birth Center, email MBC@chifranciscan.org.
Download our free guide
Preparing for childbirth can be overwhelming. To help you get started, we’ve created a free downloadable guide that provides everything you need to know as you take your first steps toward motherhood with CHI Franciscan.
> Midwifery Center at St. Joseph (Tacoma)
St. Elizabeth (Enumclaw)
St. Francis (Federal Way)
St. Joseph (Tacoma)
Level III (NICU)
Choosing a Provider
High-Risk Pregnancy Care
Delivering Your Baby
Classes and Resources
Accepted Insurance Plans
CHI Franciscan Health Designated Blue Distinction® Center for Maternity Care
Learn More About Pregnancy and Childbirth
Family Birth Center Tours
Weekly Text Message Signup
Childbirth and Parenting Classes
Breastfeeding Support Services
Newborn Tests and Care
Does Your Insurance Cover Breast Pumps?
Watch Our Videos