Savor the Tiniest Moments
We provide a supportive environment for moms-to-be, so you can focus on having a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
High-Risk Pregnancy Care
For women who need extra care for possible pregnancy complications, CHI Franciscan provides specialized prenatal services. We’re dedicated to providing the best possible start in life for your new baby.
Advanced care for high-risk mothers and babies
Our knowledgeable, experienced team of maternal-fetal medicine specialists care for women with high-risk pregnancies. These specialists (perinatologists) are obstetrician/gynecologists (OB/GYNs) specially trained in high-risk pregnancy care. They consult with your OB/GYN or family practice obstetrician.
Our skilled neonatologists are physicians specializing in care for premature, fragile and critically ill newborns.
Reasons for high-risk pregnancy
Several factors can cause high-risk complications for a pregnant woman or her baby, such as:
- Age of the mother
- Chronic medical conditions
- Growth abnormalities in the baby
- Previous premature birth
Our maternal-fetal medicine providers offer a comprehensive range of specialized services, including:
- High-risk management for complicated pregnancies
- Management of multiple gestations (two or more fetuses)
- Management of the mother’s medical complications, such as:
- Cardiac disease
- Seizure disorders
- Thyroid disease
- Prenatal risk screenings, beginning in the first trimester
If you have concerns about your own health or your unborn baby’s health, ask your physician or midwife if a referral to maternal-fetal care is right for you.
Level II and III care for critically ill newborns
Our neonatologists and their teams provide 24-hour, dedicated care for premature and fragile newborns in our family birth centers throughout the Puget Sound:
- Our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) cares for newborns as early as 25 weeks’ gestation at St. Joseph Medical Center.
- Our Level II special care nursery cares for newborns born as early as 34 weeks’ gestation. Learn more about our Level II special care nurseries at St. Francis Hospital, Highline Medical Center and Harrison Medical Center.
Neonatologists and staff from Seattle Children’s Hospital work with our teams to provide continuous in-hospital care for critically ill newborns in our NICU.
Find a specialist for advanced pregnancy and neonatal care
We offer specialized care for high-risk pregnancies with our maternal-fetal medicine specialists. Your obstetrician or midwife can help you determine whether an appointment with one of our perinatologists is right for you.
Level III NICU
Choosing a Provider
> High-Risk Pregnancy Care
Delivering Your Baby
Classes and Resources
Accepted Insurance Plans
CHI Franciscan Designated Blue Distinction® Center for Maternity Care
Learn More About Pregnancy and Childbirth
Family Birth Center Tours
Weekly Text Message Signup
Childbirth and Parenting Classes
Breastfeeding Support Services
Newborn Tests and Care
Does Your Insurance Cover Breast Pumps?
Watch Our Videos