We Champion Women's Health and Wellness
Staying healthy should be as convenient as possible. We have women’s health locations all around Puget Sound.
Gynecological and Pelvic Conditions
The experienced gynecology professionals at Virginia Mason Franciscan Health treat gynecological and pelvic floor disorders to improve your quality of life.
Download our free guide to get answers to some common women’s health questions, including pelvic health issues.
Expert care for women’s pelvic health
We hold national recognition as a Center of Excellence in Minimally Invasive Gynecology™ (COEMIG™) by the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists.
Virginia Mason Franciscan Health has the Puget Sound’s best specialists for pelvic care, including:
- Gynecologists, obstetrician/gynecologists (OB/GYNs)
- Urogynecologists: Specialists in women’s urinary conditions and pelvic floor disorders, including physicians who are board-certified and fellowship trained in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- COEMIG™ accredited surgeons
Common gynecological and pelvic disorders
These disorders affect the internal structures in a woman’s pelvis, including:
- Muscles, ligaments and supportive structures
- Organs such as the vagina, bladder, uterus and rectum
Our skilled providers treat women with:
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Bladder or pelvic pain
- Bowel incontinence: Involuntary passing of gas or stool
- Endometriosis: Cells from the uterus lining that grow outside the uterus
- Fibroids: Tumors (usually not cancerous) that grow in the uterus
- Organ prolapse: Dropping of the uterus, bladder, rectum or intestine caused by weak or stretched muscles and ligaments
- Overactive bladder
- Painful intercourse
- Urinary incontinence: Urine leakage
Symptoms of gynecological and pelvic disorders
You may have symptoms such as vaginal discomfort, heavy bleeding, organ prolapse or pain during intercourse. Our self-assessment helps you evaluate incontinence symptoms, providing information that you can take to your health care provider.
Diagnosing and treating pelvic conditions
Pelvic conditions are treatable with modern therapies that include surgical and non-surgical options. A urodynamic study shows how well the bladder and surrounding organs work and can help physicians diagnose leaks and blockages. Other tests we use include:
- Bladder stress test
- Blood tests
- Cystoscopy: Examination of the inside of the bladder and urethra using an endoscope (thin, flexible tube with a tiny camera on the end)
- Transvaginal ultrasound: Scan of a woman’s reproductive organs
Our treatments for pelvic floor conditions include:
Urogynecology and reconstructive surgery
Urogynecologists are female pelvic medicine experts with specialized training in gynecology and reproductive surgery. Julius Szigeti II, MD, FACOG and Scott Poehlmann, MD, FACOG, FPMRS are board-certified specialists who offer surgical and non-surgical treatments for conditions affecting the pelvic floor at the new Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery clinic, a boutique practice dedicated to female pelvic health.
View our videos of our gynecological health care providers discussing care for pelvic conditions.
Find a provider for pelvic and gynecological health
Find a provider near you or call 1-888-825-3227 for referral help 24 hours a day.
Gynecology Specialty Services
> Gynecologic and Pelvic Conditions
Self-care and Nonsurgical Treatments
Pelvic Physical Therapy
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Midlife and Menopause
Accepted Insurance Plans
Women's Resource Center