We Champion Women's Health and Wellness
Staying healthy should be as convenient as possible. We have women’s health locations all around Puget Sound.
As women age, menopause causes physical and other changes that can affect sexual health. At CHI Franciscan, our women’s health care professionals provide treatment to help relieve symptoms of sexual dysfunction and improve your quality of life.
Maintaining sexual health through midlife
For many women, menopause brings freedom to enjoy sex more than ever, without monthly periods or the worry of becoming pregnant. Others may experience physical and other changes that make sex difficult or less comfortable.
Some common factors that can affect sexual function include:
- Age: A woman’s interest in and desire for sex may decrease with age.
- Hormonal changes: Decreased hormones, such as estrogen, can cause vaginal dryness, which can make sex uncomfortable.
- Disorders such as anxiety or depression
- Substances such as tobacco, alcohol or drugs, which can affect sexual response
- Sexually transmitted diseases
Comprehensive care for sexual health
At CHI Franciscan, we have experience in evaluating symptoms of sexual dysfunction to determine their cause. We offer a variety of treatment options to relieve symptoms and improve function, including:
- Lifestyle changes: Quitting smoking and drugs and limiting alcohol consumption
- Medication: Changing existing medications, or taking new medication such as estrogen for vaginal dryness
- Counseling for anxiety or depression
- Treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
Sexual health: Questions to ask your provider
Discussing your concerns with your provider is just as important for sexual health as it is for other health issues. Here are some questions to help get the conversation started:
- I don’t enjoy sex as much as I used to. What might be causing this?
- Could physical changes in my vagina and vulva be causing problems with sex? What can I do to help improve them?
- How do local estrogen creams, pills or rings differ from over-the-counter lubricants for vaginal dryness? Could one of them help me? If so, what do you recommend?
- What other options could help increase my comfort with sex?
Find a provider for women’s health care
To make an appointment with one of our gynecologists or other women’s health specialists, find a provider online or call 1-888-825-3227 for a referral, 24 hours a day.