Franciscan Center for Weight Management
Life After Bariatric Surgery: Weight Loss
Completing your bariatric surgery is just the beginning of your weight loss journey. We’re here to provide follow-up care and support designed to meet your unique needs.
The Franciscan Center for Weight Management offers a range of follow-up options for patients and their loved ones, including:
Nutritional and dietary recommendations after bariatric surgery
For most of our bariatric patients, we recommend the following guidelines after your surgery:
- Temporary, liquid-only diet
- Slow transition to pureed foods, then to soft foods, and finally to solid foods within one to two weeks or months after surgery (depending on procedure)
- Nutritional foundation of high-protein liquid drinks and supplements accompanied by healthy food choices
- Eat only small quantities of food (one to three ounces) at a time
- Don't eat desserts and other items with sugar listed as one of the first three ingredients
- Avoid carbonated drinks, high-calorie nutritional supplements, milk shakes or high-fat foods
- Don't drink alcohol
- Eat only limited snacks between meals
Going back to daily activities after weight loss surgery
Many patients return to full activity at work or home within a couple of weeks of their procedure and are fully healed within a couple of months.
Ongoing health check-ups after weight-loss surgery
At first, you’ll visit our weight loss team for follow-up visits and some tests every three to six months or as needed, and then every one to two years. Health checks include lab work to check for:
- Low-serum proteins
- Vitamin B12, folate and iron levels
Hear our patients’ experiences with bariatric surgery
Watch our patient stories and hear people just like you describe how weight loss surgery has changed their lives.
Attend a free seminar on weight loss
Take the first step toward your weight loss goals and a healthy, active life. Learn about your minimally invasive options for weight loss surgery.
Is Surgery for You?
Bariatric Surgery Options
Paying for Surgery
> Life after Surgery
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I a Candidate?
Why Virginia Mason Franciscan Health?
Meet Your Team
Nutrition and Weight Management
Attend a Free Seminar
Resources and Ongoing Support