Franciscan Center for Weight Management
Adjustable Gastric Banding: Weight Loss
Adjustable gastric banding is the least invasive, most reversible surgical option, and in many cases can be performed with a robotic surgical system in addition to the laparoscopic option. A restrictive band is placed around the upper part of the stomach so a patient feels full after just a few bites. The band size can be adjusted to be more or less restrictive according to the patient’s need.
- Most procedures are done laparoscopically on an outpatient basis.
- Patients can usually return home the day of surgery or the next morning.
- Gastric band surgery improves many of the health conditions associated with extra body weight.
- The average weight reduction is 40 to 50 percent of excess body weight over two to three years.
- The gastric banding procedure is reversible – the band can be removed if complications arise.
Read about other surgical options available at Franciscan Center for Weight Management:
Newest available weight loss surgery.
Gastric bypass is the gold standard and most common procedure.
Reduces both stomach size and food absorption.