Expert Neurological Care
Advanced neurosciences and nationally recognized stroke centers.
Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability in the United States. That’s why it’s critical to call 911 at the first sign of stroke. Learn the signs of stroke.
At CHI Franciscan Health, we offer expert emergency stroke care in all of our hospitals’ Emergency departments. Our highly skilled stroke teams are specially trained to stop — or even reverse — the effects of stroke.
Nationally recognized for quality achievement in stroke care
Our health system offers the highest level of stroke care available. Each hospital has a dedicated stroke team ready 24/7 to be activated whenever a “code neuro” patient enters our doors. That level of preparedness — combined with our advanced diagnostics, treatments and technology and an accredited rehabilitation facility — has helped us earn national recognition for excellence in stroke care, which means you can rest assured you’re in the best hands.
Among the certifications and other recognition for our superior care and the achievement of better outcomes for stroke are:
- Harrison Medical Center in Bremerton: Gold Seal of Approval for Primary Stroke Centers from the Joint Commission
- Highline Medical Center in Burien: Gold Seal of Approval for Primary Stroke Centers from The Joint Commission
- St. Joseph Medical Center in Tacoma: Gold Seal of Approval for Primary Stroke Centers from The Joint Commission, Silver Plus Award and Target: Stroke Honor Roll for Get With The Guidelines from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
Emergency care for stroke
Stroke care begins the minute you call 911. When they arrive, your medic team will immediately begin monitoring the patient and notify our hospital “code neuro” team to begin preparations. Emergency physicians, registered nurses and other “code neuro” team members are ready 24/7 to provide lifesaving measures for people who are having a stroke. These teams follow national quality standards to consistently meet or beat a 60-minute goal from arrival to providing the clot-busting drugs to patients suffering from acute ischemic stroke. By achieving these high standards, we’re able to improve outcomes for our patients.
We offer expert stroke care at all of our hospitals:
- St. Anthony Hospital, Gig Harbor
- St. Clare Hospital, Lakewood
- St. Elizabeth Hospital, Enumclaw
- St. Francis Hospital, Federal Way
- St. Joseph Medical Center, Tacoma
- Harrison Medical Center, Bremerton
- Harrison Medical Center, Silverdale
- Highline Medical Center, Burien
Many people suffering from stroke are able to return home following a brief stay in the hospital. Additionally, St. Joseph Medical Center in Tacoma has a Neuro Intensive Care Unit (ICU) with registered nurses and other clinical staff who provide specialized care for acutely ill patients recovering from serious ischemic stroke, aneurysm and other conditions of the brain, head, neck and spinal cord. We also offer inpatient rehabilitation services, including therapy services and education.
Stroke information and resources
Find out what to expect after a stroke, including medical interventions, inpatient care and rehabilitation.
Visit our stroke resources page for videos, websites and information to help prevent a stroke and recover afterward.
ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
Headaches and Migraines
Neuromuscular Disorders/Muscular Dystrophy
Sleep Disorders Center
> Stroke Treatment
After a Stroke
Find a Specialist
Accepted Insurance Plans
Health Talks, Classes and Events
View Our Videos