Expert neurological care.
Advanced neurosciences and nationally recognized stroke centers.
Muscular Dystrophy - Neurosciences
For muscular dystrophy (MD) and other neuromuscular disorders, treatment can help relieve your or your loved one’s symptoms and prevent complications. At CHI Franciscan Health, we provide a range of options to help you maintain your quality of life, from acute medical treatment through long-term follow-up and support.
What are muscular dystrophies and neuromuscular disorders?
MD describes a group of more than 30 inherited conditions that cause muscle weakness and loss of muscle tissue over time. It can occur at any age from childhood to adulthood. In milder cases, only certain groups of muscles are impaired; severe cases of MD affect all muscles.
Common types of MD include:
Other neuromuscular disorders we treat include:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy)
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Guillain-Barré syndrome
- Inherited neuropathies
- Myasthenia gravis
Expert care for neuromuscular disorders
Our treatment options for neuromuscular disorders include:
- Medications to control the underlying disorder as well as associated symptoms
- Targeted pain management
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy to maintain strength, learn new ways of performing daily activities and coping with facial and throat weakness
- Respiratory therapy to maintain respiratory strength for breathing
Your neurologist and other members of your multidisciplinary team work together to make recommendations about assistive devices which will enhance your functional capabilities.
Find a neurologist
To make an appointment, find a neurologist online or call 888-825-3227.
ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
Headaches and Migraines
> Neuromuscular Disorders/Muscular Dystrophy
Sleep Disorders Center
Find a Specialist
Accepted Insurance Plans
Health Talks, Classes & Events
View Our Videos