Expert Neurological Care
Advanced neuroscience and nationally recognized stroke centers.
Stroke is the leading cause of adult disability in the United States. That’s why it’s critical to call 911 at the first sign of stroke.
At Virginia Mason Franciscan Health, we offer expert emergency stroke care in all of our hospitals’ Emergency Services departments. Our highly skilled stroke teams are specially trained to stop — or even reverse — the effects of stroke.
Nationally recognized for quality achievement in stroke care
Our health system offers the highest level of stroke care available. Each hospital has a dedicated stroke team ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week to be activated whenever a “code neuro” patient enters our doors. That level of preparedness — combined with our advanced diagnostics, treatments and technology and an accredited rehabilitation facility — has helped us earn national recognition for excellence in stroke care, which means you can rest assured you’re in the best hands.
Among the certifications and other recognition for our superior care and the achievement of better outcomes for stroke are:
- St. Anne Hospital in Burien: Get With The Guidelines® – Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite from the AHA/ASA; Gold Seal of Approval for Advanced Primary Stroke Centers; Gold Seal of Approval for Primary Stroke Centers from The Joint Commission; Get with the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus* Quality Achievement award from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
- St. Anthony Hospital in Gig Harbor: Get With The Guidelines® – Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award with Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll from AHA/ASA
- St. Clare Hospital in Lakewood: Get With The Guidelines® – Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from AHA/ASA
- St. Joseph Medical Center in Tacoma: : Get With The Guidelines® – Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite AHA/ASA; Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification (CSC) by DNV-GL Healthcare for a three year term. A comprehensive stroke center designation integrates guidelines of the Brain Attack Coalition and recommendations of the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association into one, nationally recognized stroke care certification.
- St. Michael Medical Center in Silverdale: Get With The Guidelines® – Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite from AHA/ASA; Gold Seal of Approval for Primary Stroke Centers from the Joint Commission; Get with the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus* Quality Achievement award (second year) from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
*Stroke Gold Plus = 24 consecutive months of meeting 85% compliance on seven quality measures; Plus = in addition to the seven quality measures, hospital meets at least 75% compliance for 24 consecutive months on at least five of eight additional quality measures.
Emergency care for stroke
Stroke care begins the minute you call 911. When they arrive, your medic team will immediately begin monitoring the patient and notify our hospital “code neuro” team to begin preparations. Emergency providers, registered nurses and other “code neuro” team members are ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide lifesaving measures for people who are having a stroke. These teams follow national quality standards to consistently meet or beat a 60 minute goal from arrival to providing the clot-busting drugs to patients suffering from acute ischemic stroke. By achieving these high standards, we’re able to improve outcomes for our patients.
We offer expert stroke care at many of our hospitals:
Many people suffering from stroke are able to return home following a brief stay in the hospital. Additionally, St. Joseph Medical Center in Tacoma has a Neuro Intensive Care Unit (ICU) with registered nurses and other clinical staff who provide specialized care for acutely ill patients recovering from serious ischemic stroke, aneurysm and other conditions of the brain, head, neck and spinal cord. We also offer inpatient rehabilitation services, including therapy services and education.
ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
Headaches and Migraines
Neurology Resource Center
Neuromuscular Disorders/Muscular Dystrophy
Sleep Disorders Center
> Stroke Treatment
After a Stroke