Expert Neurological Care
Advanced neuroscience and nationally recognized stroke centers.
Parkinson’s Disease and Other Movement Disorders: Neuroscience
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, managing your symptoms and improving your day-to-day life requires expert care. We can help you or your loved one achieve a better quality of life with a personalized treatment plan.
What is Parkinson’s disease?
Parkinson's disease is a movement disorder that develops if nerve cells in the brain stop producing the chemical dopamine. People who have Parkinson’s disease often experience tremors in the hands, arms, legs and face, and have difficulty with movement, balance and coordination.
Comprehensive Parkinson’s disease care
Led by a neurologist who specializes in Parkinson’s, our team provides care to help minimize your symptoms, prevent complications and support your quality of life. We work with you and your family members to develop your personalized treatment plan.
We offer a range of treatment options, including:
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS) to treat motor symptoms
- Exercise to stay active
- Medication to help relieve symptoms
- Outpatient therapy services to address balance, stability, coordination, fatigue, mobility, swallowing through techniques such as vestibular stimulation and Lee Silverman LSVT LOUD® and LSVT BIG® therapies
Other movement disorders
Our neurological experts help people suffering from other movement disorders, including:
- Conditions involving uncontrolled or slow movement, such as chorea and dystonia
- Essential tremor
- Restless leg syndrome
Our diagnostic tests for movement disorders include:
- Electromyography (EMG) to check the health of muscles and the nerves that control them
- Nerve conduction velocity studies to check for nerve damage by monitoring how fast electrical signals move through a nerve
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
At St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Tacoma, we are the only center in the area offering Gamma Knife, a noninvasive, nonsurgical treatment for patients with Parkinson’s and essential tremor.
Find a neurologist
To make an appointment, find a neurologist online or call 888-825-3227.
ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
Headaches and Migraines
> Movement Disorders/Parkinson’s
Parkinson's Disease Management Program
Neuromuscular Disorders/Muscular Dystrophy
Sleep Disorders Center