Grilled Chicken with Green Chile Sauce
Marinate meats to make them tender without adding a lot of fat.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 chicken breast
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice from two limes, divided
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Four boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup water
- 10 to 12 tomatillos, husks removed and cut in half
- ½ medium onion, quartered
- Two cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Two serrano or jalapeno peppers
- Two tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup low-fat sour cream
- Combine the olive oil, juice from one lime, oregano and black pepper in a shallow glass baking dish. Stir.
- Place the chicken breasts in the baking dish and turn to coat each side. Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight. Turn the chicken periodically to marinate chicken on both sides.
- Combine ¼ cup water, tomatillos and onion in a saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the tomatillos are tender.
- Put the cooked onion, tomatillos and any remaining water into a blender. Add the garlic, peppers, cilantro, salt and remaining lime juice. Blend until all the ingredients are smooth. Pour the sauce into a bowl and refrigerate until serving.
- Grill the chicken breasts over high heat until done.
- Arrange the chicken on a serving platter. Spoon a tablespoon of low-fat sour cream over each chicken breast, then pour the sauce over the sour cream.
Nutrition information per serving: 192 calories; five grams total fat; two grams saturated fat; 71 mg cholesterol; 220 mg sodium; 53 mg calcium; two mg iron.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Source: Stay Young at Heart from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
Your Heart Care Team
When Do You Need a Heart Specialist?
Your First Cardiology Visit
Recovering from Heart Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Conditions We Treat
Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Why Choose Us for Heart Care?
Heart Health: Prevention and Support
Heart Classes and Events
Heart Failure Symptom Self-Check