Experience World-Class Care Near Home
At Franciscan Cancer Center, we don’t just treat the disease, we take a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach to caring for the whole person.
Whether you’re concerned about developing breast cancer or recently diagnosed, you’ll find the expert care you need at CHI Franciscan Cancer Care.
Nationally recognized for screening and diagnostic services
Put your trust in one of the most comprehensive and advanced breast health programs in the Puget Sound. Breast programs at St. Francis Hospital, St. Joseph Medical Center and St. Anthony Hospital are accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC). By following NAPBC’s stringent guidelines, these multidisciplinary care programs provide the best possible treatment by consistently meeting or exceeding quality standards of care. Patients can expect to receive the most advanced treatment options, without having to travel outside of the area. We are the only accredited program in Pierce County and one of two in King County.
Franciscan Breast Center at St. Francis Hospital in Federal Way, Carol Milgard Breast Center in Tacoma, Franciscan Breast Center in Burien, and Harrison Imaging Services are accredited as Breast Imaging Centers of Excellence by the American College of Radiology for providing the highest level of imaging quality and patient safety in diagnostic services.
Latest treatment protocols for outstanding outcomes
Our program is accredited by the Commission on Cancer (CoC), a program of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS). As an accredited institution we measure ourselves against the latest treatment standards in order to continuously improve survival and quality of life for cancer patients. Our quality metrics for cancer of the breast exceed national benchmarks determined by the Commission on Cancer (CoC) and the National Quality Forum (NQF).
Breast Cancer Treatment Protocol Performance
Post-surgical radiation therapy
|CHI Franciscan Cancer Care:||92.7%||87.5%|
|Following breast-conserving surgery||Following mastectomy w/positive lymph nodes|
Recent data from the National Cancer Database shows that our Breast Cancer Program outperforms the national median in adhering to CoC best-practice standards.
Full continuum of care
With dedicated breast cancer surgeons and treatment centers throughout the Puget Sound area, you'll have access to the full continuum of care, from screening and diagnosis through treatment and follow-up:
- Prevention and screening
- Diagnostic breast imaging, including 3-D mammography, ultrasound, MRI and biopsy
- Nurse navigators to guide you in navigating cancer care and breast cancer community navigators serve women in our local communities who are at high risk for breast cancer and may not have access to screenings and care
- Chemotherapy, radiation and outpatient services
- Breast surgeons who specialize in breast surgery and reconstruction
- Counseling through our Clinical Cancer Genetics Program
- Clinical trials
- Cancer rehabilitation, including lymphedema (swelling) treatment
- Home health services
- Support groups, classes and resources during treatment and into survivorship
- Integrative Therapies
Innovative breast cancer treatments
Our cancer specialists take a multidisciplinary team approach to treating breast cancer. Experts from several specialties will work together to design a personalized treatment plan specifically for your individual case, which may include one or more of the following:
- Breast surgery, including lumpectomy, mastectomy and reconstruction.
Find a breast surgeon and a plastic and reconstructive surgeon
- Radiation therapy, including image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT), which creates 3-D images that pinpoint the exact size and location of tumors and enables us to deliver precise, focused doses of radiation directly to cancer cells, sparing healthy tissue.
- Targeted and hormonal therapies that block specific characteristics of cancer cells
Because we’re part of Catholic Health Initiatives, one of the largest health care providers in the country, you’ll have access to the latest research and innovations through the CHI Institute for Research and Innovation as well as national clinical trials as part of our participation in the National Cancer Institute Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP).
Ask your doctor about accessing clinical trials.
Care without the commute
You can receive treatment for breast cancer at our premier treatment centers conveniently located throughout the Puget Sound area:
Bremerton, Silverdale and Poulsbo
CHI Franciscan Cancer Care at Harrison Medical Center
CHI Franciscan Cancer Care at St. Francis Hospital
CHI Franciscan Cancer Care at St. Clare Hospital
CHI Franciscan Cancer Care at St. Joseph Medical Center
Find a specialist
Your first visit is with a board-certified surgeon or medical oncologist, who will discuss the next steps with you.
Your Cancer Journey
> Breast Cancer
Head and Neck Cancer
Why Choose Us for Cancer Care?
Research and Clinical Trials
Support Groups and Classes