Discovering New Treatments
Experience the latest approaches to cancer care.
Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
If you have a new diagnosis or recurrence of cancer, and want access to the newest cancer treatments, a clinical trial may be right for you.
We offer national clinical trials to our patients and bring the latest advances to the Puget Sound through leading research protocols.
About our research
The Franciscan Research Center conducts clinical trials within a community-based hospital. The center's mission is to help develop improved cancer therapies that benefit patient care, through pharmaceutical and device-related research. Based at St. Joseph Medical Center and also serving St. Michael Medical Center, St. Anne, St. Anthony, St. Clare, St. Elizabeth and St. Francis Hospitals, the center facilitates clinical research studies in all Virginia Mason Franciscan Health facilities.
How to join a cancer clinical trial
By joining a clinical trial, you gain access to leading-edge treatments that are not yet widely available. You can also join cancer prevention, cancer control and quality of life studies through our cancer centers. Your participation helps advance medical science, which will benefit future cancer patients.
If you have a new diagnosis or recurrence of cancer, a clinical trial may be right for you. These tips can help you find and join clinical trials:
- Ask your provider and all your cancer care providers (surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists) if there are any clinical trials for your cancer.
- Ask for your case to be reviewed at a cancer conference and for the physicians to discuss your eligibility for a cancer study.
- Search online to see if there is a clinical trial for your cancer. A reliable resource is clinicaltrials.gov. Share any findings with your care team.
- Ask your navigator to work with your care team to find out if you’re eligible for a clinical trial.
- Consider trials throughout your treatment. Clinical trials continue to research treatments for newly diagnosed patients, recurrent patients, survivorship and every phase of life after diagnosis.
Get in contact with the Franciscan Research Center in Tacoma to learn more information about our research efforts.
1812 South J Street (Northwest Medical Plaza)
Tacoma, WA 98405
253-426-6882 (office phone)
Cancers We Treat
Your Cancer Journey
Your Care Team
> Research and Clinical Trials
Cancer Prevention and Screenings
Locations and Contact Information
Cancer Resource Center