Cancer Care That’s Close to Home
Get world class treatment from our caring team of specialists.
Whether you’re concerned about developing breast cancer or recently diagnosed, you’ll find the expert care you need at CHI Franciscan Cancer Care.
For more information and to make an appointment, call 1-888-825-3227.
Full continuum of care
With dedicated breast cancer surgeons and treatment centers throughout the Puget Sound area, you'll have access to the full continuum of care, from screening and diagnosis through treatment and follow-up:
- Prevention and screening
- Diagnostic breast imaging - including 3D mammography, ultrasound, MRI and biopsy
- Nurse navigators - guide you in navigating cancer care
- Chemotherapy, radiation and outpatient services
- Breast surgeons - specialized in breast surgery and reconstruction
- Genetic testing - available through our Clinical Cancer Genetics Program
- High Risk Breast Clinic - our experienced clinicians offer a risk model assessment, genetic testing, advanced imaging and other support for those at high risk for breast cancer
- Clinical trials
- Cancer rehabilitation, including lymphedema (swelling) treatment
- Home health services
- Support groups, classes and resources - during treatment and into survivorship
- Complementary and alternative medicine
Innovative breast cancer treatments
Our cancer specialists take a multidisciplinary team approach to treating breast cancer. Experts from several specialties will work together to design a personalized treatment plan for your individual case, which may include one or more of the following:
- Breast surgery - including lumpectomy, mastectomy and reconstruction. Find a breast surgeon, plastic surgeon or reconstructive surgeon.
- Radiation therapy - including image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT), which creates 3D images that pinpoint the exact size and location of tumors and enables us to deliver precise, focused doses of radiation directly to cancer cells, sparing healthy tissue.
- Chemotherapy - drugs that work to remove, kill or damage cancer cells.
- Targeted and hormonal therapies that block specific characteristics of cancer cells.
- Genetic testing (approach content as treatment and screening)
Ask your provider about clinical trials.
Breast reconstruction after treatment
If a mastectomy is performed to treat your breast cancer, our plastic surgery team can help reconstruct your breast appearance. You’ll have the flexibility of choosing the timing of your breast reconstruction and can decide between reconstruction via implants or tissue from elsewhere in the body. Our plastic surgery team can be found at Franciscan Plastic Surgery Associates (Tacoma, Gig Harbor and Federal Way).
Nationally recognized services
Put your trust in one of the most comprehensive and advanced breast health programs in the Puget Sound. Breast programs at St. Francis Hospital, St. Joseph Medical Center and St. Anthony Hospital are accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC). We are the only accredited program in Pierce County and one of two in King County.
Our care programs provide the best possible treatment by consistently meeting or exceeding quality standards of care. Patients can expect to receive the most advanced treatment options, without having to travel outside of the area.
Our Breast Centers are accredited as Breast Imaging Centers of Excellence by the American College of Radiology for imaging and testing. They include Franciscan Breast Center at St. Francis Hospital in Federal Way, Carol Milgard Breast Center in Tacoma, Franciscan Breast Center in Burien and Harrison Imaging Services. They are deemed to provide the highest level of imaging quality and patient safety in diagnostic services.
Franciscan Breast Center at St. Francis Hospital in Federal Way, Carol Milgard Breast Center in Tacoma, Franciscan Breast Center in Burien, and Harrison Imaging Services are accredited as Breast Imaging Centers of Excellence by the American College of Radiology for providing the highest level of imaging quality and patient safety in diagnostic services.
Breast cancer outcomes
Our program is accredited by the Commission on Cancer (CoC), a program of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS). As an accredited institution, we measure ourselves against the latest treatment standards in order to continuously improve survival and quality of life for cancer patients. Breast cancer quality metrics at CHI Franciscan exceed national benchmarks determined by the CoC and the National Quality Forum (NQF).
Breast Cancer Treatment Protocol Performance
Adherence to Commission on Cancer standards post-surgical radiation therapy
|Following breast-conserving surgery||Following mastectomy with positive lymph nodes|
|CHI Franciscan Cancer Care:||92.7%||87.5%|
Recent data from the National Cancer Database shows that our Breast Cancer Program outperforms the national median in adhering to Commission on Cancer best-practice standards. This means you can expect our services to meet the strict standards of the CoC at a rate higher than the national average.
Meet our specialists
Your first visit may be with a dedicated breast surgeon or with a board-certified medical oncologist, who will discuss next steps with you.
Meet our patients as they share their stories with breast cancer treatment. Be inspired by their messages of hope for those who are just beginning their cancer journey.
You can receive treatment for breast cancer at our premier treatment centers conveniently located throughout the Puget Sound area.
Cancers We Treat
> Breast Cancer
Cervical, Ovarian and Uterine Cancers
Colon and Rectal Cancers
Head and Neck Cancers
Leukemia and Lymphoma
Liver and Pancreas Cancers
Prostate, Bladder and Kidney Cancers
Your Cancer Journey
Your Care Team
Research and Clinical Trials
Cancer Prevention and Screenings
Locations and Contact Information