Treatment and Resources
You have several treatment options for kidney disease. At CHI Franciscan Health, our kidney care team provides expert treatment with a caring touch to support you and your family.
The two types of dialysis are:
- Hemodialysis, in which the technician connects you to a kidney machine that pumps your blood to an artificial kidney (dialyzer). You can have hemodialysis treatment in one of our dialysis centers or at home. The average treatment lasts three to five hours and is usually needed three times a week.
- Peritoneal dialysis, which procedure uses the lining of your abdomen, the peritoneal membrane, as the filter for dialysis without removing any blood from your body.
Learn more about dialysis.
Kidney (renal) transplant is the surgical placement of a kidney from another person (donor) into a person with kidney failure. You must be in the best possible condition before your transplant to minimize risks. Risk factors include:
- Not taking medications as prescribed
- Lack of family or other social support
- Major depressive or other psychiatric disorders
Palliative care for kidney failure
Some people choose not to treat their end-stage kidney failure, depending on their circumstances. At CHI Franciscan, we provide end-of-life support to make our patients comfortable without dialysis. Learn more about our Hospice and Palliative Care Services.
Kidney dialysis services
CHI Franciscan offers comprehensive dialysis services at convenient outpatient locations in the south Puget Sound area. Read about our services and make an appointment at one of our dialysis center locations.
For hospitalized people with kidney conditions, our experienced dialysis nurses and certified technicians provide acute inpatient dialysis at St. Joseph Medical Center in Tacoma and St. Anthony Hospital in Gig Harbor.
Our home dialysis program features nurses who are specially trained in home dialysis. We teach you, your family members and helpers to perform treatments in the comfort of your own home. For more information, contact your nearest center.