Heart and Chest Surgery
Important information for heart patients
At CHI Franciscan Health, your heart is in good hands. Our board-certified surgeons have the skills and experience to deliver expert, patient-focused care in one of our two flagship locations: Franciscan Heart Center located within St. Joseph Medical Center (in Tacoma) and Harrison Medical Center (in Bremerton). Our heart surgeons have consistently earned a place in the top tier of cardiothoracic surgeons for quality patient outcomes. Learn more.
Heart surgery: Your care team
Our heart patients receive the most advanced care available from surgeons who are leaders in heart care. We offer you:
- An experienced team: Our surgeons perform hundreds of cardiac surgeries every year. This high volume gives us an unmatched level of experience and expertise in all types of heart surgery so you don’t have to travel far from home to get the best care available. Find a cardiothoracic surgeon near you.
- Personalized care: We perform both conventional (open) surgery as well as minimally invasive procedures. Our surgeons will partner with you and your family to determine the surgical treatment best for your unique needs and optimal outcomes.
- Support and resources: Our staff, including registered nurses or registered nurse navigators, will help guide you and your family every step of the way, from your initial appointment through recovery and rehabilitation.
Heart surgeries we perform
Your care team welcomes your questions and makes themselves available to discuss your procedure in more detail with you, your family and the other doctors on your team. Surgeries we perform include:
- Bypass surgery, which redirects a blood vessel to “bypass” blockages so we can restore blood flow to the heart.
- Heart valve surgery, including surgeries for repairing and replacing heart valves.
- TAVR, an innovative approach for patients who need aortic valve replacement but aren’t candidates for traditional valve replacement surgery.
Many surgeries can be performed using a minimally invasive approach. Because these surgeries don’t require dividing the breastbone, they offer less risk for complications and quicker recovery.
Hybrid Cardiovascular Operating Suite (Hybrid OR)
This innovative suite combines a fully equipped operating room with the advanced imaging technology of the cardiovascular labs. A hybrid OR advances our abilities to perform minimally invasive cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgery. The suite enables us to perform:
- Collaborative procedures between a cardiology team and a cardiac surgery team
- New cardiac or vascular procedures and surgical therapies
Find a heart surgeon who’s right for you.