February 11, 2011
Cancer Survivors' Conference: Inspiration And Education
Doug Strauss, president and co-founder of Gloria’s Angels, will be the keynote speaker at the 2011 Pierce County Survivors’ Conference scheduled for Tuesday, March 15, from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the University of Puget Sound, 1500 N. Warner in Tacoma.
He is the father of Gloria Strauss, the 11-year-old girl whose courageous battle with cancer inspired Gloria’s Angels, a non-profit organization devoted to helping families dealing with life-threatening illnesses.
This event, sponsored by multiple community organizations and cancer-care advocates, is free and open to everyone affected by cancer as patients, family members and caregivers. It is the largest educational and inspirational gathering of cancer survivors in this community.
The conference provides a unique opportunity for individuals to connect in a daylong series of seminars and workshops that explore the physical, mental and spiritual aspects of cancer survivorship.
To register, call 1-800-342-9919 or visit pccancersurvivor.org. Admission is free but space is limited. Event highlights and breakout sessions include:
- Continental breakfast and lunch
- Exhibitor booths
- Keynote: “Breakdowns are Opportunities for Breakthroughs," featuring Doug Strauss
- Eating for Survival: It Matters
- Ayurvedic medicine
- Stress management/emotional resilience
- Fatigue and energy
- Insurance rights of cancer survivors
- Emotional adaptation after cancer
- Cancer’s impact on family and caregivers
- Chair yoga
- Art Project: The Tree of Experience
- Cancer genetics
- Lifetime Awareness: Minimize toxin exposure
- Breast cancer genetics
- Long-term effects of treatment
- Panel of breast-cancer experts
Special thanks presenting sponsor, The University of Puget Sound, for its generous donation of the conference facility and audiovisual support, and to Sands Costner & Associates, for assistance developing and maintaining the event’s web site.
Other sponsors of the 2011 Cancer Survivors’ Conference include the Franciscan Health System; MultiCare Health System; American Cancer Society; and The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
News Media Contact: