Self-Care and Nonsurgical Treatments
If you have a gynecological or pelvic condition, we offer several options for self-care and nonsurgical treatments. Our team of gynecological specialists, including pelvic floor and physical therapists, offer customized care depending on the type and severity of your condition.
Pelvic self-care options
Significant weight gain can weaken pelvic floor muscle tone, leading to urinary incontinence. Some lifestyle changes that can help include:
- Losing weight through healthy diet and exercise
- Regulating the time you drink fluids
- Avoiding alcohol and caffeine
Our pelvic floor therapists can teach you behavioral techniques to improve incontinence, such as:
- Pelvic floor exercises (like Kegel exercises) to help strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor
- Bladder training to help you learn to delay urination
Learn more about self-treatment alternatives in our Health Library.
Nonsurgical incontinence treatments
Our gynecology physicians and physical therapists can provide successful treatment options without surgery for incontinence and other pelvic floor conditions:
- Medications: Prescription medications can help relieve urinary and bowel incontinence problems. Or, the medications that you already take may contribute to your symptoms. Your physician will monitor your medications and adjust them as needed.
- Pessary: A small, removable, cup-shaped plastic device can be inserted into the vagina to support the uterus.
- Physical therapy: Active and passive range-of-motion exercises and assistive techniques can help strengthen weak or damaged muscles. Our pelvic floor therapists are specially trained in providing the full range of pelvic floor therapies.
Surgery for incontinence and gynecological conditions
If you do need surgery, our expert gynecological surgeons are experienced in using state-of-the-art technology and surgical techniques. Learn about our minimally invasive surgery options.
Find a provider for incontinence care
For incontinence and other pelvic conditions, CHI Franciscan offers expert services from experienced providers. Find a physician, nurse practitioner or pelvic physical therapist near you:
- Use our online search to find a doctor.
- Call 1-888-825-3227 for referral help 24 hours a day.