Bariatric Surgery Options
We offer all the major surgeries for weight loss, using minimally invasive, robotic-assisted procedures. That means smaller incisions, less pain and fewer complications - not to mention a quicker recovery time.
Expert surgeons for successful bariatric surgery
Our experienced bariatric surgeons perform more robotic-assisted gastric bypass surgeries than any other hospital in the Pacific Northwest. Since 2000, we’ve helped thousands of people with their weight-loss goals. We consistently achieve excellent patient outcomes and one of the highest bariatric surgery success rates in Washington state.
Franciscan Center for Weight Management: types of bariatric surgery we offer
At the Franciscan Center for Weight Management, we use the most advanced minimally invasive techniques for weight-loss surgery. Our bariatric surgery procedures include:
- gastric bypass: The most common procedure, in which a smaller stomach pouch is created to reduce calorie absorption. Most people return to work in two to four weeks.
- sleeve gastrectomy: This procedure involves removing part of the stomach to reduce the amount of food a person can eat. Most people return to work in two to three weeks.
- duodenal switch: This option for severely obese patients includes removing a large percentage of the stomach. The procedure both limits food intake and reduces calorie absorption. Most people return to work in three to four weeks.
- adjustable gastric banding (LAP-BAND®): The most reversible option, this procedure creates a smaller stomach pouch to limit food intake.
- revision surgery: A surgical consultation regarding possible weight-loss surgery for patients who have already undergone a form of bariatric surgery.
Minimally invasive techniques for bariatric surgery
Our robotic-assisted procedures offer significant benefits over traditional, open surgery, including:
- less pain and discomfort after surgery
- less need for narcotic pain medications, reducing the related side effects
- shorter hospital stay and recovery time
- fewer scars
- fewer complications
da Vinci Robotic Surgical System
Franciscan Center for Weight Management features the da Vinci Surgical System for robotic-assisted surgical procedures. The system provides surgeons with a greater range of motion than the human wrist, enabling a shorter hospital stay and better results. Watch our short videos to hear our bariatric surgeons, Troy Houseworth, MD, and Haroon P. Anwar, MD, describe how it works.
Attend a free seminar on weight loss
Find out how our experienced specialists can help you lose weight for better health. Sign up to attend a free seminar to learn more about your minimally invasive options and get answers to your questions.