Adjustable Gastric Banding
Adjustable gastric banding is the least invasive, most reversible surgical option, and in many cases can be performed with the daVinci ® Surgical System (or robotics) in addition to the laparoscopic option. A restrictive band is placed around the upper part of the stomach so a patient feels full after just a few bites. The band size can be adjusted to be more or less restrictive according to the patient’s need.
- most procedures are done laparoscopically on an outpatient basis.
- patients can usually return home the day of surgery or the next morning.
- gastric band surgery improves many of the health conditions associated with extra body weight.
- the average weight reduction is 40 to 50 percent of excess body weight over two to three years.
- the gastric banding procedure is reversible – the band can be removed if complications arise.
Read about other surgical options available at Franciscan Center for Weight Management:
Contact us today to learn more and get started.
Take the first step