Living with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
For people who have chronic kidney disease (CKD), it can be difficult to adjust to life with dialysis. At CHI Franciscan Health, we’re here to help you throughout your journey with support and information.
Options for kidney treatment
Before you start kidney treatment, it’s important to talk with your care team about all your treatment options, including:
- Your preferred location to receive treatment, including your own home or one of our clinics. See our dialysis center locations.
- Scheduling: We try to accommodate your schedule to the best of our ability.
- Whether to have a dialysis access (entrance into your bloodstream that lies beneath your skin and is easy to use) placed before you start dialysis.
When you start dialysis, facing challenges can be overwhelming, no matter how much you’ve prepared. You may find it helpful to talk with someone other than your family and friends.
Our social workers are ready to help you and can discuss all kinds of topics, including:
- Arranging for dialysis while traveling
- Anxiety about treatment
- Feelings of loss and grief
- Finding services that you may be eligible for
- Health insurance options, including prescription drug coverage
- Job issues
- Marriage and family problems
- Physical changes and limitations
- Self-esteem and body image
Dialysis costs and health insurance coverage
You may be concerned about how to pay for your dialysis services. Our staff can help you find the most affordable health insurance option to help you pay for dialysis, including Medicaid, Medicare, Medicare supplement plans and private health insurance.
Emergency diet plan for CKD
When circumstances temporarily prevent you from getting your dialysis treatment, we’ve developed an emergency diet plan. Intended for periods of less than five days, the diet helps prevent waste products, potassium and fluid from building up in your bloodstream.
Outpatient kidney dialysis
We offer dialysis services at several locations throughout the Puget Sound area. Make an appointment at one of our dialysis center locations near you.