Diabetes Education Services
Managing your diabetes can help you feel your best. We teach proper self-care, which can help prevent or delay diabetes complications. You’ll find the following services at our locations throughout the Puget Sound:
Initial diabetes assessment
Your first step is meeting with a diabetes educator. Together, you’ll develop a self-care plan customized to your needs. We provide follow-up consultations to adapt your plan as your health needs change.
Training and education for diabetes care
For a full list of offerings, visit our classes and events listing. Topics in our group and individual programs may include:
- Healthy living with diabetes: Learn all aspects of daily diabetes self-management, including healthy eating, diabetes medications and physical activity.
- Carbohydrate counting: Learn which foods contain carbohydrates and how accurate carb counting can keep your blood sugar under control.
- Gestational diabetes education: For women who develop diabetes during pregnancy, this program reviews meal planning, blood sugar testing and other specialized care.
- Injectable diabetes treatments: You and your family members learn how to administer insulin and other injectable diabetes medications.
- Insulin pump therapy: Our certified insulin pump trainers show you how to use or upgrade your pump and fine-tune your blood sugar control.
- Continuous glucose monitoring: Learn how to use a blood sugar monitoring system to track your blood sugar and interpret the results.
Diabetes support groups
Our nurses and dietitians lead support groups for our diabetes patients and their loved ones. In a safe, encouraging environment, group members can exchange experiences with others coping with similar issues. Find a support group near you.
At Harrison Medical Center, Highline Medical Center and St. Joseph Medical Center, our diabetes educators, nurses and other staffs provide inpatient education on self-management skills for transitioning home and maintaining health.
Diabetes education in the Puget Sound
Contact our experienced diabetes team for expert care:
- Find a doctor for diabetes care and treatment
- For Franciscan Diabetes Education locations in Auburn, Bonney Lake, Burien, Enumclaw, Federal Way, Gig Harbor, Lakewood, Milton, Port Orchard, Puyallup, Spanaway, Tacoma and University Place, call 253-426-4352.
- For Harrison Diabetes and Nutrition Center in Bremerton and Silverdale, call 360-744-6910.
- For Highline Diabetes Education in Burien and South Seattle, call 206-431-5370.