Accreditation and Awards
Receiving a cancer diagnosis is a life-changing event that causes stress and worry. Your top priority is finding the best possible care from highly skilled and experienced cancer professionals at locations that are close to home.
At CHI Franciscan Cancer Care, we’ve received recognition for our excellence in cancer care. Through local and national awards and accreditation, our cancer programs are considered to be among the best cancer treatment centers in the country. That means exceptional care and better outcomes—and a better quality of life—for you.
National recognition for high-quality cancer care
The American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer (CoC) has accredited CHI Franciscan Health’s comprehensive cancer programs for more than 30 years. Only one out of four cancer programs achieve such recognition, and there’s a reason for that—the standards are high. The CoC is the group of health care organizations that sets the gold standard for quality cancer care.
You can expect:
- State-of-the-art clinical services from initial screening and diagnosis through treatment to recovery and palliative care
- A multidisciplinary team approach to care, with professionals from several cancer specialties working together to develop the best plan of treatment for your unique needs
- Patient-centered care with cancer navigators, support groups, caregiver resources, survivorship care planning and more to support body, mind and spirit throughout your cancer journey
- Leading-edge technology providing the best in advanced treatment options for minimally invasive surgery, and radiation therapy.
Programs, grants and awards support our community work
CHI Franciscan Cancer Care seeks grants and other financial support from agencies across the United States. These awards support our innovative programs and services for underserved people in our local communities throughout South and West Sound.
Among the recent funding grants we have received are:
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation funding for breast cancer navigators for high-risk, medically underserved women for multiple consecutive years
- Funding to provide mammograms for low-income women
- United Way of Pierce County funding for breast cancer navigation
Community Cancer Program
Our Community Cancer Program helps us bring excellent care to the communities we serve in the Puget Sound area. Some of our outreach projects are made possible with the generous support of these foundation grants:
- American Legacy Foundation
- Bank of America
- Florence B. Kilworth Foundation
- Franciscan Cornerstone Club
- Franciscan Foundation
- Gig Harbor Quilt Festival
- Greater Tacoma Community Foundation
- Heart and Soles Foundation
- Puget Sound Energy Foundation
- Regence Foundation
- Russell Family Foundation, Jane’s Fund
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure – Puget Sound Affiliate
- United Way of Pierce County
- Wells Fargo Foundation
CEOs against cancer
Harrison Oncology Services has earned the CEO Cancer Gold Standard accreditation for our commitment to promote healthy lifestyle choices and workplace wellness.
To earn Gold Standard accreditation, a company must establish programs to reduce cancer risk by:
- Prohibiting tobacco use at the workplace
- Encouraging physical activity
- Promoting healthy nutrition
- Detecting cancer at its earliest stages, when outcomes may be more favorable
- Providing access to quality care, including participation in cancer clinical trials
We developed our award-winning program in partnership with our FreshStart employee wellness program and benefits department. Among the department’s efforts to reduce our employees’ cancer risk are:
- Encouraging employees to eat healthy and exercise
- Providing wellness incentives, such as reduced health insurance costs for those who participate in annual screenings and refrain from tobacco use
Award-winning community services for cancer care
Over the past several years, we have earned numerous awards for our efforts to bring the best possible cancer care to all people in our local communities. Just to name a few:
Society for Thoracic Surgeons awarded thoracic surgeons at St. Joseph Medical Center 3-star award for lung cancer outcomes – some of the best in the nation.
Radiation Oncology at St. Francis Hospital is accredited as a Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiation (ACR) and is one of only two in Washington state.
St. Joseph Medical Center designated surgical Epicenter (training center) for Thoracic Surgery by Intuitive; one of only two on the west coast
Outstanding Community Service Award - Breast Cancer Navigator Program, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Puget Sound Affiliate
Community Health Leader Award Finalist - Tricia Sinek, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Franciscan Freedom from Tobacco Day – May 19, 2012, Proclamation from Governor Christine Gregoire
Clinical Trials Participation Award – Partner, Northwest Medical Specialties, Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO
Patient Navigation Partnership Award - Breast Cancer Navigator Program, American Cancer Society
Business Health Champion – Franciscan Health System for adoption of tobacco-free hiring policy, Washington State Public Health Association
Healthcare Champion Award – Freedom from Tobacco Program and Dr. Patrick Hogan, Pierce County Business Examiner
Healthcare Champion, Distinguished Service Award, Dr. Frank Senecal, Pierce County Business Examiner
Individual Health Champion Award - Dr. Patrick Hogan for Freedom from Tobacco Program & other accomplishments, Washington State Public Health Association
Commendation for outstanding work with medically underserved groups – Franciscan Community Cancer Program - ACoS Cancer Program Network Survey
Health Care Champion Award - Breast Cancer Navigator Program, Pierce County Business Examiner
Community Service Award - Breast Cancer Partnership of Tacoma, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Puget Sound Affiliate
Distinguished Nurse of the Year Award – Joy Martin, Regional Director of Oncology Services, March of Dimes Western Washington
Outstanding Volunteer Award – Tricia Sinek, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Puget Sound Affiliate
Find a specialist
Explore our team of expert physicians, and find a cancer specialist who’s right for you.